KJV Sermon Outlines
Three Rules for
Knowing the Will of God
The will of God is not hidden, but rather it is revealed to us through
the Word of God. God does not bypass our minds when it comes to His
will for us. That's why Paul said in Ephesians 5:17 Wherefore be ye
not unwise, but understanding what the will of the Lord is.
I. Nothing is the will of God if it is not in
accordance with the Word of God.
A. The Bible is not a book of rules, but rather it is a book of
1. Too often we want to make a list of rules to govern our lives
rather than living by Biblical principles.
2. God is not pleased by our following rules - anymore than we are
pleased when our children do, just what we say instead of living like
we want them to.
3. Any list we make would be drastically insufficient!
B. We never have to pray about something that the Word
of God commands.
1. Example: Marriage
a. 2Co. 6 14, "Be not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for
what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what
communion hath light with darkness?"
b. Amos 3:3, "Can two walk together, except they be agreed?"
c. There is more to choosing a mate for life than just whether or not
they are a professing Christian also! ex. saved but not living for the
d. Which one do you marry? The one you love!
2 . Example: Vocation
a. 1Peter 4:11," .if any man minister, let him do it as of the ability
which God giveth: that God in all things may be glorified through
b. 1Co. 10:31, "...whatsoever he do, do all to the glory of God."
c. Col. 3:23, "and whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as to the Lord,
and not unto me,"
d. Whatever vocation we enter into we must be able to honor God with
e. Can we glorify God in what we are doing? If not then it is not the
will of God!
C. The question we must answer is this: What is your
1. In the realm of Christendom, we find four final authorities.
2. For some the church is the final authority.
a. This is the Catholics - the church is final unless...
b. The pope speaks 'ex cathedra' then his word is to be taken as God's
3. For others, human experience is the final authority
a. This is the position of the much of the Charismatic crowd.
b. "It happened to me, therefore it is true!"
c. "I don't care what the Bible says, I know what I feel!"
4. Then there is human reasoning as the final authority.
a. This is the position of liberals and includes most of the
b. Nobody is right and nobody is wrong because we are all looking for
c. What they cannot conceive they will not believe; what they cannot
under- stand, they will not accept. "It doesn't make sense to me that
there is a hell, so there is no hell!"
5. Finally, there are those who take the Bible as the only final
authority in their lives.
a. I would hope that this is where each of us are.
b. Many People say that the Word of God is their final authority but
they continually make important decisions on the basis of human
reasoning or human experience.
c. Final authority means that, like it or not, there is no where else
to turn to for answers.
d. What is the final authority in your life?
II. Before you can know the
will of God for your life, you must be willing to do the will of God.
A. God wants us to be ready and willing to do anything He should ask.
1. Ex. in the military, when the commanding officer issues a command
he expects immediate obedience.
a. There is no room for discussion or arguments.
b. NOTE: The purpose of boot camp is to shape and train young men to
obey orders immediately.
c. On the battlefield may hesitation to obey could result in disaster.
2. We are in a battle!
a. Our enemy is real!
b. When we balk or hesitate in our obedience to our Master, we open
ourselves up for disaster in our lives
3. We must be ready and willing to obey our Lord.
a. NOTE: When Pat or I call would call our boys' names they were to
come to us immediately.
b. For to answer "yeah!" was not acceptable.
c. They came immediately to us to receive whatever instructions we had
d. Now that isn't natural, they had to be trained to respond in that
4. God wants us ready and willing to obey Him.
B. Acts 9:6, "Lord, what wilt thou have me to do?"
1. That question will go unanswered unless we are ready and willing to
2. God will never reveal to us His will for our future if we aren't
obedient to His will for our present.
3. Many times our prayers are not to find the will of God but to see
if God will let us do what we want instead of what He has said.
C. Eph. 4:30, "And grieve not the Holy Spirit of
1. When we continually refuse to do what God wants and we repeatedly
do what we want,
2. Then the Holy Spirit - who was given to be our guide into all truth
- is grieved!
3. At that point you can be sure that you are not in the will of God.
III. The Lord must reveal His will to His
child who is yielded!
A. Ro. 12:1-2, "...present your bodies a living sacrifice...that ye
may prove what is that...perfect will of God."
1. The key is surrender. cf. Jn 6:38
2. It is absolutely impossible to not know the will of God if you are
3. Is. 30:21, "And thine ears shall hear a word behind thee, saying,
This is the way, walk ye in it, when ye turn to the right hand, and
when ye turn to the left."
4. God will direct - He will guide -Jn. 6:13, "...He will guide you
into all truth..."
B. He will guide us by His eyes. cf. Ps. 32:8
1. 1 Peter 3:12, "For the eyes of the Lord are over the righteous..."
2. Ex. How you silently guide your children. They must be looking at
you though or they will not know what you want.
3. We must keep our eyes upon the God if we are to be led and directed
into His will
4. Heb. 12:2 , "Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our
C. He will give us our way if we refuse to yield.
1. Note: Ps. 106:13-15
2. Along with our way will come leanness into our soul.
3. How much better it would have been if they (Israel) only would have
yielded - how much better for us!
A. Nothing is the will of God if it is not in accordance with the word
B. Before we can know the will of God we must be willing to do the
will of God.
C. The key is a surrendered life.
Tonight, do you know the will of God for your life? If not why not
determine that you will seek to apply the principles of His Word to
your life. Are you willing to do what He asks? Are you truly
Sermon Outline Index
Please sign our Guest Book!